« Home | Simple Things #3 » | The Tongue » | Chipotle - Restaurant Review » | Broomball » | Self-Acclaimed ADD All-Star » | Simple Things #2 » | The Unforgiveable Social Sin » | Finally Done... » | Free Education??? 01/25/05 » | Hmm...01/25/05 »

Windshield Worries

On my way home from Salem this evening I encountered a bit of rain. It didn't last long, but it was enough to put several beads of water on my windshield. Because they didn't necessarily obstruct my view, I didn't turn the windshield wipers on them. As I drove in the dark, however, going between 80-85 mph, I realized that my eyes were focused more on the beads of water than I was on the road. I was so focused on the rain drops that the scenery behind them became blurry. I kept having to tell myself to watch the road instead of gawk at the rain. It captivated my attention for some unknown reason.

This got me thinking. How many times in my life do I focus on and worry about the problems right in front of me instead of looking out toward the bigger picture??? How often do we all do it? I know that I'm not alone in this. We become so wrapped up and focused on the "here and right now" of life that we seldom take the time to sit back and see the beautiful view just on the other side..."the not yet."

Once I was able to look past the rain drops, it was amazing how much bigger, brighter, and more clear my view was. It's also worth noting that all I had to do was put enough effort into flipping a switch, causing the windshield wipers to clear the path for my eyes to focus on what they needed to. Maybe it really is just that easy.

Ask God to wipe the windshield to provide you a view of what really lies ahead. Ask Him to take care of the worries that face tomorrow. Tomorrow is a new day with new challenges.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear...Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
Matthew 6:25-27, 34

I could seriously use a switch for that in my daily work life; I am so easily distracted, I wear myself out chasing rabbit trails. It's all bound up in the attention span thing. I'd rather do eight things half way that one thing all the way through...

Great blog post; sounds like you need to package that one away and save it for an instant devo that is in your future somewhere...

Post a Comment